Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 71, Issue 21

We are currently on a Dendrology tour of California NSE and West, The general paucity of birds is remarkable. Apart from American Crows here and there one can drive hundreds of miles, freeways and otherwise, without seeing anything avian other than an overstuffed turkey sandwich.
Seabirds an exception.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Sep 2019, at 9:00 am, birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org wrote:
>
> Send Birding-Aus mailing list submissions to
> birding-aus@birding-aus.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body ‘help’ to
> birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> birding-aus-owner@birding-aus.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than “Re: Contents of Birding-Aus digest…”
>
>
> Today’s Topics:
>
> 1. Scientific American – Silent Birds (Chris Shaw)
> 2. Re: Scientific American – Silent Birds (Stephen Ambrose)
>
>
> ———————————————————————-
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 18:50:44 +0930
> From: Chris Shaw < seashore@internode.on.net>
> To: Birding Aus <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Scientific American – Silent Birds
> Message-ID: <
EC82A543-BE04-4501-8229-C1F6AAEDC8F6@internode.on.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”utf-8″
>
> The following quote from Scientific American…
>
>
www.scientificamerican.com/article/silent-skies-billions-of-north-american-birds-have-vanished/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-review&utm_content=link&utm_term=2019-09-2…
>
> Is drawn from their report on the decline of bird numbers in the USA?
> One bright spot the researchers found was that wetland birds have made recoveries, driven largely by increases among waterfowl such as ducks, geese and swans. ?It?s because of the strong constituency of recreational waterfowl hunters who raised their voice, put money where their mouths are and saw to it that conservation programs and policies were put in place,? Rosenberg says. ?Billions of dollars [were] invested into wetlands [and] into wildlife refuges. The North American Wetlands Conservation Act was enacted in the late 1980s. All of these things were responsible for the turnaround.? The study also found that raptors such as bald eagles have rebounded after legislation extended protections for these birds and banned the pesticide DDT?thanks in part to Silent Spring.
> Sillett says that birders and bird enthusiasts could learn from hunters? conservation efforts. ?The rest of us who enjoy birds that are not game species, we?ve got to think of ways that we can contribute to their conservation,? such as taxing hiking or bird-watching equipment to support conservation programs, he says. ?I think we all need to throw in a bit and think about how we can come up with a broader model of conserving our wildlife that?s patterned after the waterfowl program.?
>
> The duck hunting debate is, in my opinion, distorted by junk science and single issue activists. We need rigorous and proper ecological research into conservation of our wetland birds not emotional feel-good policies.
>
> Chris Shaw
> seashore@internode.on.net
> +61 0 409 675912
>
>
>
> ————– next part ————–
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed…
> URL:
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 19:59:43 +1000
> From: “Stephen Ambrose” < stephen@ambecol.com.au>
> To: “‘Chris Shaw'” <
seashore@internode.on.net>, “‘Birding Aus'”
> <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Scientific American – Silent Birds
> Message-ID: <
004201d57451$1f570fb0$5e052f10$@ambecol.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”utf-8″
>
> Hi Chris,
>
>
>
> We do have rigorous and proper ecological research into the conservation of our wetland birds. Richard Kingsford?s research group at the University of NSW is a good (but not the only) example of this happening over the long-term. You can pick up some of the research publications from this group from Richard?s university web page
www.bees.unsw.edu.au/richard-kingsford.
>
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stephen
>
>
>
> Stephen Ambrose
>
> Ryde, NSW
>
>
>
> From: Birding-Aus < birding-aus-bounces@birding-aus.org> On Behalf Of Chris Shaw
> Sent: 26 September 2019 7:21 PM
> To: Birding Aus <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Scientific American – Silent Birds
>
>
>
> The following quote from Scientific American…
>
>
>
>
www.scientificamerican.com/article/silent-skies-billions-of-north-american-birds-have-vanished/?utm_source=newsletter &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-review&utm_content=link&utm_term=2019-09-25_top-stories&spMailingID=60516237&spUserID=MjkzMjYyMzc4MjgS1&spJobID=1723346337&spReportId=MTcyMzM0NjMzNwS2
>
>
>
> Is drawn from their report on the decline of bird numbers in the USA?
>
> One bright spot the researchers found was that wetland birds have made recoveries, driven largely by increases among waterfowl such as ducks, geese and swans. ?It?s because of the strong constituency of recreational waterfowl hunters who raised their voice, put money where their mouths are and saw to it that conservation programs and policies were put in place,? Rosenberg says. ?Billions of dollars [were] invested into wetlands [and] into wildlife refuges. The North American Wetlands Conservation Act was enacted in the late 1980s. All of these things were responsible for the turnaround.? The study also found that raptors such as bald eagles have rebounded after legislation extended protections for these birds and banned the pesticide DDT?thanks in part to Silent Spring.
>
> Sillett says that birders and bird enthusiasts could learn from hunters? conservation efforts. ?The rest of us who enjoy birds that are not game species, we?ve got to think of ways that we can contribute to their conservation,? such as taxing hiking or bird-watching equipment to support conservation programs, he says. ?I think we all need to throw in a bit and think about how we can come up with a broader model of conserving our wildlife that?s patterned after the waterfowl program.?
>
>
>
> The duck hunting debate is, in my opinion, distorted by junk science and single issue activists. We need rigorous and proper ecological research into conservation of our wetland birds not emotional feel-good policies.
>
>
>
> Chris Shaw
>
> seashore@internode.on.net seashore@internode.on.net>
>
> +61 0 409 675912
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ————– next part ————–
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed…
> URL:
>
> ——————————
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Birding-Aus mailing list
> Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
>
>
> ——————————
>
> End of Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 71, Issue 21
> *******************************************



Birding-Aus mailing list

Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org

To change settings or unsubscribe visit:

birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org

Leave a Reply