Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 59, Issue 15

Message 8 an 9. Re Swimming Frogmouth

There is also video on my facebook page but i am sorry i dont know how to
add links as the previous person had done with the photo . The bird
deliberately flew out to the middle of the very wide Daintree river, had a
look for crocs and dipped his feet on the water then flew to a different
area but still in the middle and landed. It floated for about 5 minutes
without moving. It did not splash like other birds having a bath as
splashing would attract a crocodile. It seemed to deliberately choose the
middle of the river where it was shallow and could see the bottom but could
not stand. The middle is actually the safest place for a swim as the crocs
are usually on the edge under the trees. An amazing sight that nobody seems
to have seen before.

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 2:00 am, < birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org> wrote:

> Send Birding-Aus mailing list submissions to
>
birding-aus@birding-aus.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body ‘help’ to
> birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> birding-aus-owner@birding-aus.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than “Re: Contents of Birding-Aus digest…”
>
>
> Today’s Topics:
>
> 1. Online ornithology course (Akos Lumnitzer)
> 2. Wedge-tailed Eagles (milton smith)
> 3. Re: Online ornithology course (Lyn Saint)
> 4. Cheerio (Lawrie Conole)
> 5. Re: Online ornithology course (David Bruce)
> 6. Re swimming Frogmouth (David White)
> 7. Re: Online ornithology course (Anne Brophy)
> 8. Re: Re swimming Frogmouth (Laurie Knight)
> 9. Re: Re swimming Frogmouth (James Mustafa)
>
>
> ———————————————————————-
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:28:50 +1000
> From: Akos Lumnitzer < akos@amatteroflight.com>
> To:
birding-aus@birding-aus.org
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Online ornithology course
> Message-ID:
> 0kiNj1k1ZKib54xzn9rHUE9pf19sX52JAHetaMw@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8″
>
> Hi Birders
>
> Could anyone recommend a proper ornithology course that can be undertaken
> online and is credible?
>
> I know of one through Charles Sturt Uni, so any other would be helpful.
>
>
> Many thanks
> Regards
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:24:01 +1000
> From: milton smith < milton.smith66@gmail.com>
> To: birding-aus <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Wedge-tailed Eagles
> Message-ID:
> <>
CAJ8vPdxK1MQZzb_6ZjLBQzjEYpz-gD7ksCF0M-BXTp3AkvkC3Q@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8″
>
> It was very distressing to read Barney Enders Post re the poisoning of 136
> Wedge-tailed Eagles
> One would like to think that in 2018 after extensive Public education over
> many years that all rational thinking Human beings would have been educated
> enough to understand that these birds although capable of attacking live
> animals eg lambs just do not do so, and if so one extremely rare occasions
> I know I am speaking to the converted on this forum, But all i ask is that
> those of us who are passionate about the conservation of Wedge-tailed
> eagles will contact our local MPs , ministers for the environment etc when
> cases like this occur, and also follow up the cases to see if the
> perpetrators get the right penalty applied.
> Although the State Gov Environment Departments clearly indicate that these
> birds are protected by Law and severe penalties apply for wilfully killing
> them, there is not a lot of obvious educational information disseminated on
> the reasons why these protective laws are in place, and why we are trying
> to conserve our native wildlife.
>
> always optimistically
>
> Milton Smith
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:43:07 +1000
> From: Lyn Saint < lynmarysaint@gmail.com>
> To: Akos Lumnitzer <
akos@amatteroflight.com>
> Cc:
birding-aus@birding-aus.org
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Online ornithology course
> Message-ID: < C8C9496C-EFE4-4D67-B69B-F84A155033EA@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Hi Akis,
> That is the only one and it is very credible. I have completed some units
> from it.
> Lyn
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 14 Sep 2018, at 11:28 am, Akos Lumnitzer <
akos@amatteroflight.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Birders
> >
> > Could anyone recommend a proper ornithology course that can be undertaken
> > online and is credible?
> >
> > I know of one through Charles Sturt Uni, so any other would be helpful.
> >
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Regards
> >


> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
>
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:54:15 +1000
> From: Lawrie Conole < lconole@gmail.com>
> To: Birding-Aus <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Cheerio
> Message-ID:
> <>
CAGX2k7XH0Uf+FXRG-9y5A8f52T97-q2nWXiT5oy2uZixOtpkHQ@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8″
>
> Hi birders
>
> I just resigned from Birdlife Australia after being a member for ~40 years!
> I’ll be signing off from Birding-Aus as well (but I’ll still take a peep in
> the archives from time to time). Thanks to all here who have contributed
> (positively or negatively) to any matters I raised here over the years.
>
> Birds will always be in my blood and I can’t help but notice them wherever
> I am, but they just aren’t foremost in my hobby or professional worlds any
> more, and I haven’t been actively involved in any ornithological
> organisation’s activities in years.
>
> Go well, and good birding!
>
> cheerio …
>
> [And for any of you saying “who the hell is this guy anyhow?”, that
> illustrates my point about how inactive I’ve been in the last decade or
> two. :-) ]
>
>
> ++++++++++++
> Dr Lawrie Conole
> Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
> lconole@gmail.com
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 03:42:10 +0000
> From: David Bruce < david.bruce@uwa.edu.au>
> To: Lyn Saint <
lynmarysaint@gmail.com>, Akos Lumnitzer
> <
akos@amatteroflight.com>
> Cc: “
birding-aus@birding-aus.org” < birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Online ornithology course
> Message-ID:
> <>
MEXPR01MB07102E31D8CC3E9CB9426644CA190@MEXPR01MB0710.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”us-ascii”
>
> Me too and I am really enjoying it.
>
> David Bruce
>
> —–Original Message—–
> From: Birding-Aus [
> Hi Akis,
> That is the only one and it is very credible. I have completed some units
> from it.
> Lyn
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 14 Sep 2018, at 11:28 am, Akos Lumnitzer <
akos@amatteroflight.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Birders
> >
> > Could anyone recommend a proper ornithology course that can be undertaken
> > online and is credible?
> >
> > I know of one through Charles Sturt Uni, so any other would be helpful.
> >
> >
> > Many thanks
> > Regards
> >

> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
>
>

>
Birding-Aus mailing list
>
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
>
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
>
>
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 15:40:53 +1000
> From: David White < info@solarwhisper.com>
> To:
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Re swimming Frogmouth
> Message-ID:
> 3fyVOWQQ@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8″
>
> Hello I recently observed a Papuan Frogmouth swimming on the Daintree River
> North Queensland
> and I was interested if anyone else has observed this behaviour. It was an
> intentional swim and easy exit. Thank you . David.
> —
> Cheers,
>
> David White
> Owner operator
> Ph +61 (0)40987131
> www.solarwhisper.com
>
> <> www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g499650-d676603-Reviews-Solar_Whisper_Daintree_River_Wildlife_Cruises-Daintree_Daintree_Region_Queensland.html
> >
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:21:56 +1000
> From: Anne Brophy < annecbrophy@gmail.com>
> To: David Bruce <
david.bruce@uwa.edu.au>
> Cc: Lyn Saint <
lynmarysaint@gmail.com>, Akos Lumnitzer
> <
akos@amatteroflight.com>, “birding-aus@birding-aus.org
> < birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Online ornithology course
> Message-ID: <
D26C23FD-0A54-4E9E-8ED5-B5D2C1C633AF@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> I have one more assignment for the Certificate and have found the course
> everything I had hoped for. No walk in the park however!
>
> Kind regards,
> Anne
>
> > On 14 Sep 2018, at 13:42, David Bruce <
david.bruce@uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > Me too and I am really enjoying it.
> >
> > David Bruce
> >
> > —–Original Message—–
> > From: Birding-Aus [
ng-aus@birding-aus.org
> > Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Online ornithology course
> >
> > Hi Akis,
> > That is the only one and it is very credible. I have completed some
> units from it.
> > Lyn
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On 14 Sep 2018, at 11:28 am, Akos Lumnitzer < akos@amatteroflight.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Birders
> >>
> >> Could anyone recommend a proper ornithology course that can be
> undertaken
> >> online and is credible?
> >>
> >> I know of one through Charles Sturt Uni, so any other would be helpful.
> >>
> >>
> >> Many thanks
> >> Regards
> >>

> >>
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >>
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >>
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >>
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >>
> >
> >

> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
> >
> >

> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
>
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 18:34:34 +1000
> From: Laurie Knight < l.knight@optusnet.com.au>
> To: David White <
info@solarwhisper.com>
> Cc: Birding Aus <
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Re swimming Frogmouth
> Message-ID: <
E86D8670-F58B-4F66-A6DB-7814F1FB8A5E@optusnet.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> G?day David
>
> Was the frogmouth swimming or just having a birdbath? The Noisy Miners
> bathe in my backyard pool – they sit on the fence, plop in and fly back to
> the fence [and repeat several times].
>
> Was the frogmouth hopping in and out of the water, floating in the water
> or propelling itself through the water?
>
> Regards, Laurie.
>
> > On 14 Sep 2018, at 3:40 pm, David White <
info@solarwhisper.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello I recently observed a Papuan Frogmouth swimming on the Daintree
> River
> > North Queensland
> > and I was interested if anyone else has observed this behaviour. It was
> an
> > intentional swim and easy exit. Thank you . David.
> > —
> > Cheers,
> >
> > David White
> > Owner operator
> > Ph +61 (0)40987131
> >
www.solarwhisper.com
> >
> > <> www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g499650-d676603-Reviews-Solar_Whisper_Daintree_River_Wildlife_Cruises-Daintree_Daintree_Region_Queensland.html
> >
> >

> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
>
>
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:03:43 +1000
> From: James Mustafa < jamesmustafamusic@gmail.com>
> To: Laurie Knight <
l.knight@optusnet.com.au>
> Cc:
info@solarwhisper.com, Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Re swimming Frogmouth
> Message-ID:
> nUwUu9H0BKLLWdZViXrkAkpBhY6yqs1HD4w@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8″
>
> Link to the image is viewable here:
>
> www.facebook.com/SolarWhisper/photos/a.720450611333535/2050146975030552/?type=3&theater
>
> Best wishes,
>
> *James Mustafa*
> [image: photo]
> *James Mustafa*
> Musician/Composer
>
> 0400 951 517 | info@jamesmustafa.com
>
> www.jamesmustafa.com
> www.victorianyouthjazzcollective.org
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM Laurie Knight < l.knight@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > G?day David
> >
> > Was the frogmouth swimming or just having a birdbath? The Noisy Miners
> > bathe in my backyard pool – they sit on the fence, plop in and fly back
> to
> > the fence [and repeat several times].
> >
> > Was the frogmouth hopping in and out of the water, floating in the water
> > or propelling itself through the water?
> >
> > Regards, Laurie.
> >
> > > On 14 Sep 2018, at 3:40 pm, David White <
info@solarwhisper.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello I recently observed a Papuan Frogmouth swimming on the Daintree
> > River
> > > North Queensland
> > > and I was interested if anyone else has observed this behaviour. It was
> > an
> > > intentional swim and easy exit. Thank you . David.
> > > —
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > David White
> > > Owner operator
> > > Ph +61 (0)40987131
> > >
www.solarwhisper.com
> > >
> > > <> >
> www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g499650-d676603-Reviews-Solar_Whisper_Daintree_River_Wildlife_Cruises-Daintree_Daintree_Region_Queensland.html
> > >
> > >

> > >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> > >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> > >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> > >
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> > >
> >
> >
> >

> >
Birding-Aus mailing list
> >
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> >
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> >
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> >
> >
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Birding-Aus mailing list
> Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
>
>
> ——————————
>
> End of Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 59, Issue 15
> *******************************************
>

Cheers,

David White
Owner operator
Ph +61 (0)40987131
www.solarwhisper.com



Birding-Aus mailing list

Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org

To change settings or unsubscribe visit:

birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org

Leave a Reply