Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 63, Issue 28

Hi Harry,

Re Iron Range, here are a few thoughts. Re timing, October is a good time to visit Cairns and maybe Iron Range as birds should be active and nesting. But can depend on rain. By delaying to Nov then Buff breasted Paradise Kingfisher should be in the Cairns region. By delaying to Nov then Black winged Monarch should be present in Iron Range and there’s a chance you could get Papuan Pitta. Delaying later increases the chance of rain, but also the chance that you might get stuck in Iron Range due to swollen creeks.

Cassowary is easy at Etta Bay, or maybe a day in Daintree National Park north of the Daintree River. Some accommodations in the area like Cassowary House regularly get free-ranging Cassowary visiting the grounds at some point of the day.

Re Iron Range, Palm Cockatoo is mostly a resident of drier forest surrounding the rainforest rather than the rainforest itself. Airport, or Old Site Rd, or Portland Roads dump, or road into Chilli Beach are good areas. If you can find a fruiting Nonda Tree or Beach Almond or Pandanus then you might find them on the ground. If your really lucky you might find them in the Nonda Tree directly across the road from the Lockhart Township supermarket.

Have dinner one night at Out of the Blue (cafe/restaurant) at Portland Roads. Greg & Sheree do an excellent job (0740607161, 0740607193). They are also the owners of Portland House.

Spotlighting at night. Walk the roads in the rainforest, possibly between Gordon Camp and Cooks Hut. See if you can find Marbled Frogmouth, Spotted Cuscus, Common Grey Cuscus, maybe Green Python.

Learn the calls of the Iron Range specialties. This will help track down the good birds. I was there 2 weeks ago. Northern scrub Robin is often on the ground shy on the track into Rainforest Camp. Frilled Monarch can be found at most rainforest sites. Redcheeked Parrot are often hard to get onto, usually flying high overhead. Yellow-billed Kingfisher are often high in the trees, maybe try Gordon creek area.

Re Daintree cruise, hope to see you on my little cruise, Daintree Boatman Nature Tours.

Murray
0417 651 929

Sent from my iPad

> On 31 Jan 2019, at 3:00 am, birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org wrote:
>
> Send Birding-Aus mailing list submissions to
> birding-aus@birding-aus.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body ‘help’ to
> birding-aus-request@birding-aus.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> birding-aus-owner@birding-aus.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than “Re: Contents of Birding-Aus digest…”
>
>
> Today’s Topics:
>
> 1. Re: RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range (Harry Nystr?m)
> 2. Re: RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range (Philip Veerman)
> 3. Re: RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range (Charles)
> 4. Werribee on weekend? (Phil Hansbro)
>
>
> ———————————————————————-
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 03:30:29 +0200
> From: Harry Nystr?m < harrynystrom@gmail.com>
> To: Birding-Aus <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range
> Message-ID:
> <
CACautd_ks2PmTSyz+XHYwopfkLJu04KDB4+L13sXJOnv-8YXBA@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”utf-8″
>
> Thank you all for your generous input!
>
> I got several emails from here and not a single tip from Facebook. Thus,
> old school email lists are still validated (although in demise).
>
> I will try to give individual replies in the next few days. Bear with me. :)
>
> Nevertheless, a short summary of the replies below:
>
> 1. Two cars recommended. Read the fine print (i.e. terms and condition)
> carefully. Be prepared for large liability bonds or an additional fee. 1300
> Truckhire was suggested by a few. Roads should be fine in Oct, and most
> likely also in Nov, especially in the first half.
>
> 2. Only a couple of recommendations regarding accommodations in Cairns.
> Google will be my guide. :) Several reminded of the strict no alcohol
> policy in Lockhart River, which I was already aware of. The fine of
> 48.956,25 AUD for the first offence is not something to forget…
>
> 3. Postponing to Nov will likely add Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher and
> Black-winged Monarch to our list, but not much else. I’m now forgetting one
> more species, but that’s it. 4 nights in Iron Range was considered enough.
> Thus, the trip will most likely be in early Nov with 4 nights in Iron Range.
>
> 4. Etty Bay for the Cassowary and Lockhart airport and surroundings for
> Palm Cockatoos were recommended most.
>
> 5. Lots of good info and trip reports have now been archived for later use.
> Hopefully better this time around. 😉
>
> Additionally, a cruise to Michaelmas Cay, Daintree River cruise, Mt. Lewis
> and Atherton Tablelands were recommended by several. Bamaga was also
> suggested if we would fly to Cape York, but that’s probably not likely.
> Will keep on reading for more. :)
>
> Cheers,
> -Harry
>
>
>
> Harry Nystr?m <
harrynystrom@gmail.com> kirjoitti su 13. tammik. 2019 klo
> 21.06:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are planning a part Finnish, part Aussie birding trip to Cairns and its
>> surroundings and Iron Range in October-November 2019. The plan is to spend
>> the first week in Cairns and its surroundings and the second week in Iron
>> Range (most likely 4 nights on the spot), so 2 weeks altogether without
>> intercontinental travels. This is not a guided tour, but a birding trip “on
>> a budget”, and with friends we have gathered over the years.
>>
>> I have tried to gather good info on many things related to locations and
>> birds, but experience is something I cannot achieve online. Thus, there are
>> a few things that I would like to ask you for your expertise on – if it’s
>> not too much of trouble:
>>
>> 1. Car rental? Most likely would be wisest to hire 2 different cars: one
>> for Cairns and surroundings, and another for Iron Range. Which 4WD rentals
>> would you recommend? The prices seem steep, and the conditions excessive,
>> at least in some companies. There would be 4 birders in one car, max, so
>> probably the smallest SUV wouldn’t be enough. I think that in
>> October-November the roads should still be fine?
>>
>> 2. Accommodation in Cairns and surroundings for birders? The limited
>> options in Iron Range are most likely already known.
>>
>> 3. Timing? The original plan was to aim the arrival to early October, but
>> we are considering whether it would add a significant amount of birds to
>> delay it even to early November? My original inquiries indicated that the
>> difference wouldn’t be significant, but another opinion wouldn’t hurt. At
>> least the Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher arrives earliest in November.
>> And would the 4 nights in Iron Range be enough for most target species? We
>> really need to lock the dates soon, so this is crucial.
>>
>> 4. Best locations for Palm Cockatoos and Southern Cassowarys are
>> appreciated. Iron Range Cabins – Lockhart Airport for Palm Cockatoo? And
>> Etty Bay & Mission Beach for Southern Cassowary? Of course we will scan
>> eBird as much as we can prior to the trip.
>>
>> 5. Any stories available from your past trips? I remember archiving a
>> couple of them at one point, but seem to have lost them somewhere. I seem
>> to have archived them too well… :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all the help you would like to give us. It really is
>> appreciated, as has been all the previous tips I have received during my
>> previous (business) trips in 2015 and 2012.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Harry
>>
>>
> ————– next part ————–
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed…
> URL:
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 15:56:40 +1100
> From: “Philip Veerman” <
pveerman@pcug.org.au>
> To: ‘Harry Nystr?m’ <
harrynystrom@gmail.com>, “‘Birding-Aus'”
> <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range
> Message-ID: <
001801d4b858$30ba5e20$922f1a60$@org.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”utf-8″
>
> I am someone who would never bother carrying alcohol on a trip, let alone somewhere so remote (it doesn?t interest me and there are many better things to carry). So I have never thought about it but I was somewhat amazed at the mention of ?Several reminded of the strict no alcohol policy in Lockhart River, which I was already aware of.? I wondered if this is correct. Apart from formatting, it is correct. ?first offence 375 penalty units (currently $48,956.25)?. Only took a minute to find the source and it is true. As explained in
www.datsip.qld.gov.au/programs-initiatives/community-alcohol-limits/lockhart-river . These are important issues and worth the mentioning??
>
>
>
> Philip
>
>
>
> From: Birding-Aus [www.datsip.qld.gov.au/programs-initiatives/community-alcohol-limits/lockhart-river . These are important issues and worth the mentioning??
>
>
>
> Philip
>
>
>
> From: Birding-Aus [
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Harry
>
>
>
>
>
> Harry Nystr?m <
harrynystrom@gmail.com> kirjoitti su 13. tammik. 2019 klo 21.06:
>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> We are planning a part Finnish, part Aussie birding trip to Cairns and its surroundings and Iron Range in October-November 2019. The plan is to spend the first week in Cairns and its surroundings and the second week in Iron Range (most likely 4 nights on the spot), so 2 weeks altogether without intercontinental travels. This is not a guided tour, but a birding trip “on a budget”, and with friends we have gathered over the years.
>
>
>
> I have tried to gather good info on many things related to locations and birds, but experience is something I cannot achieve online. Thus, there are a few things that I would like to ask you for your expertise on – if it’s not too much of trouble:
>
>
>
> 1. Car rental? Most likely would be wisest to hire 2 different cars: one for Cairns and surroundings, and another for Iron Range. Which 4WD rentals would you recommend? The prices seem steep, and the conditions excessive, at least in some companies. There would be 4 birders in one car, max, so probably the smallest SUV wouldn’t be enough. I think that in October-November the roads should still be fine?
>
>
>
> 2. Accommodation in Cairns and surroundings for birders? The limited options in Iron Range are most likely already known.
>
>
>
> 3. Timing? The original plan was to aim the arrival to early October, but we are considering whether it would add a significant amount of birds to delay it even to early November? My original inquiries indicated that the difference wouldn’t be significant, but another opinion wouldn’t hurt. At least the Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher arrives earliest in November. And would the 4 nights in Iron Range be enough for most target species? We really need to lock the dates soon, so this is crucial.
>
>
>
> 4. Best locations for Palm Cockatoos and Southern Cassowarys are appreciated. Iron Range Cabins – Lockhart Airport for Palm Cockatoo? And Etty Bay & Mission Beach for Southern Cassowary? Of course we will scan eBird as much as we can prior to the trip.
>
>
>
> 5. Any stories available from your past trips? I remember archiving a couple of them at one point, but seem to have lost them somewhere. I seem to have archived them too well… :)
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance for all the help you would like to give us. It really is appreciated, as has been all the previous tips I have received during my previous (business) trips in 2015 and 2012.
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Harry
>
> ————– next part ————–
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed…
> URL:
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:04:51 +0900
> From: Charles < ccgfh@yahoo.com.au
>
> To: Philip Veerman < pveerman@pcug.org.au>
> Cc: Harry Nystr?m <
harrynystrom@gmail.com>, Birding-Aus
> <
birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] RFI: Trip to Cairns – Iron Range
> Message-ID: <
C9C46097-09F8-42A3-852D-53AE04BB2583@yahoo.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”utf-8″
>
> My father was pulled over last year at Lockhart River by police and his vehicle was searched for alcohol, he didn?t have any.
>
> So it is enforced.
>
> Warm Regards,
> Charles Hunter
>
>> On 30 Jan 2019, at 1:56 pm, Philip Veerman <
pveerman@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> I am someone who would never bother carrying alcohol on a trip, let alone somewhere so remote (it doesn?t interest me and there are many better things to carry). So I have never thought about it but I was somewhat amazed at the mention of ?Several reminded of the strict no alcohol policy in Lockhart River, which I was already aware of.? I wondered if this is correct. Apart from formatting, it is correct. ?first offence 375 penalty units (currently $48,956.25)?. Only took a minute to find the source and it is true. As explained in
www.datsip.qld.gov.au/programs-initiatives/community-alcohol-limits/lockhart-river . These are important issues and worth the mentioning??
>>
>> Philip
>>
>> From: Birding-Aus [www.datsip.qld.gov.au/programs-initiatives/community-alcohol-limits/lockhart-river . These are important issues and worth the mentioning??
>>
>> Philip
>>
>> From: Birding-Aus [ Several reminded of the strict no alcohol policy in Lockhart River, which I was already aware of. The fine of 48.956,25 AUD for the first offence is not something to forget...
>>
>> 3. Postponing to Nov will likely add Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher and Black-winged Monarch to our list, but not much else. I’m now forgetting one more species, but that’s it. 4 nights in Iron Range was considered enough. Thus, the trip will most likely be in early Nov with 4 nights in Iron Range.
>>
>> 4. Etty Bay for the Cassowary and Lockhart airport and surroundings for Palm Cockatoos were recommended most.
>>
>> 5. Lots of good info and trip reports have now been archived for later use. Hopefully better this time around. 😉
>>
>> Additionally, a cruise to Michaelmas Cay, Daintree River cruise, Mt. Lewis and Atherton Tablelands were recommended by several. Bamaga was also suggested if we would fly to Cape York, but that’s probably not likely. Will keep on reading for more. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Harry
>>
>>
>>
>> Harry Nystr?m <
harrynystrom@gmail.com> kirjoitti su 13. tammik. 2019 klo 21.06:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are planning a part Finnish, part Aussie birding trip to Cairns and its surroundings and Iron Range in October-November 2019. The plan is to spend the first week in Cairns and its surroundings and the second week in Iron Range (most likely 4 nights on the spot), so 2 weeks altogether without intercontinental travels. This is not a guided tour, but a birding trip “on a budget”, and with friends we have gathered over the years.
>>
>> I have tried to gather good info on many things related to locations and birds, but experience is something I cannot achieve online. Thus, there are a few things that I would like to ask you for your expertise on – if it’s not too much of trouble:
>>
>> 1. Car rental? Most likely would be wisest to hire 2 different cars: one for Cairns and surroundings, and another for Iron Range. Which 4WD rentals would you recommend? The prices seem steep, and the conditions excessive, at least in some companies. There would be 4 birders in one car, max, so probably the smallest SUV wouldn’t be enough. I think that in October-November the roads should still be fine?
>>
>> 2. Accommodation in Cairns and surroundings for birders? The limited options in Iron Range are most likely already known.
>>
>> 3. Timing? The original plan was to aim the arrival to early October, but we are considering whether it would add a significant amount of birds to delay it even to early November? My original inquiries indicated that the difference wouldn’t be significant, but another opinion wouldn’t hurt. At least the Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher arrives earliest in November. And would the 4 nights in Iron Range be enough for most target species? We really need to lock the dates soon, so this is crucial.
>>
>> 4. Best locations for Palm Cockatoos and Southern Cassowarys are appreciated. Iron Range Cabins – Lockhart Airport for Palm Cockatoo? And Etty Bay & Mission Beach for Southern Cassowary? Of course we will scan eBird as much as we can prior to the trip.
>>
>> 5. Any stories available from your past trips? I remember archiving a couple of them at one point, but seem to have lost them somewhere. I seem to have archived them too well… :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all the help you would like to give us. It really is appreciated, as has been all the previous tips I have received during my previous (business) trips in 2015 and 2012.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Harry
>>
>>


>>
Birding-Aus mailing list
>>
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
>>
To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>>
birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
>>
> ————– next part ————–
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed…
> URL:
>
> ——————————
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 07:46:58 +0000
> From: Phil Hansbro < philip.hansbro@newcastle.edu.au>
> To: “
birding-aus@birding-aus.org” < birding-aus@birding-aus.org>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Werribee on weekend?
> Message-ID: <
06512788-A280-40D8-A3C3-A6E674FB2A99@newcastle.edu.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”us-ascii”
>
> HI all
>
> A good friend of mine will be in Melbourne on the weekend and is keen to go to Werribee if anyone can go?
>
> Thanks very much
> Phil.
>
>
> ——————————
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Birding-Aus mailing list
>
Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org
> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
>
>
> ——————————
>
> End of Birding-Aus Digest, Vol 63, Issue 28
> *******************************************



Birding-Aus mailing list

Birding-Aus@birding-aus.org

To change settings or unsubscribe visit:

birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org

Leave a Reply